We had a general description of what is a website in a previous article, but here we dive into what a domain name is.
A domain name is your website name. It is an address where Internet users can access your website. Same as your home address but on the internet. A website name is used for finding and identifying computers online. Computers use IP addresses, which are a series of numbers. However, it is difficult for humans to remember strings of numbers. Because of this, domain names were developed and used to identify entities on the Internet rather than using IP addresses.
A domain name can be any combination of letters and numbers, and it can be used in combination with the various extensions, such as .com, .net, .us, .co and some of the newest extensions being .business, .shop, .agency and many others that we are not used to yet.
The domain name must be registered(bought, or better said, leased) before you can use it. Every domain name is unique. No two websites can have the same domain name. If someone types in www.yourdomain.com, it will go to your website and no one else’s(unless there is redirection created. EX -> www.getgill.com will redirect you to www.greenleafelectricllc.com).
Domain name pricing and where you can buy your it from.
The price of a domain name typically runs between $1-25 per year. Most commonly, a generic domain name is around $15 per year. But there can be domain names worth millions of dollars. For example, the 2 symbol domain names like we.co for WeWork.
The most common places you can purchase a domain name from are:
- Google Domains – $12/year for .com;
- GoDaddy – $11.99/year for .com;
- Namecheap – $8.88/year for .com;
- iPage – $10.99/year for .com;
- 1&1 IONOS – $1 for the first year then $15/year for .com.
We can not recommend where to get your domain name since it is purely a money decision and it is not a website yet without hosting and the website design/creation itself. One thing we surely want to recommend is to buy your name from a separate company you will buy your hosting from.
Most important things to consider when buying a domain name:
- make sure your it is as short as possible. Ex -> www.webndi.com instead of www.webanddesignservices.com. A short name is hard to get nowadays, therefore try different extensions like .design, .shop or .us;
- make sure your extension is relevant to the industry and geolocation. The .com extension is the most used in the world. A .org extension is associated with a Not for profit organization. A .us extension is for businesses located in the USA. A .com.au extension is for Australia. A .ca extension is for Canada;
If your website is a shop in the USA then it makes sense to consider the following extensions: .com, .us or .shop.
- make sure your it is the name of your business. A great example is 1-800-GOT-JUNK? with www.1800gotjunk.com or GreenLeaf Electric LLC with www.greenleafelectricllc.com;
- stay away from confusing words or spelled wrong words used as domain names, unless your intention is to go that route. Ex -> Untrakt with untrakt.ski.
Obviously there are many things to consider when choosing a name. One thing for sure is that if you know that you have a great business name and a domain name available now but you are not ready to build a website, you better buy the website name now, otherwise someone else may buy it before you do it. You may save yourself a lot of money now or lose $15 now if something does not go based on your plan.
Do you have any questions for us or want to have us create your website? Click here and contact us now.